Monday, September 22, 2008

Rocking on, Sunday

We started off the day early with a tennis date. My current domestic partner (his family also went to India) joined us as well. This guy descended on the court as an underdog; in fact we decided to server him slow in the beginning, but he played real well and beat me in the best-of-3-games gig. After that, I played a regular set with my regular tennis partner, went down to 0-4 but beat him 7-5 in the end. Our bodies were aching by the time we were done.

Later in the morning, I decided to dump myself in the jacuzzi for a little while followed by a hot shower, and I emerged as a new man. With still so much time to kill, we decided to go for a movie. 'Rock on' was running at AMC 30; we decided to go for the 4PM show. We loaded up the suitcases with fresh supplies for the week and drove down to Schaumburg to my friends place. After unloading some stuff over there, we remembered that we almost forgot to take lunch, so busy we were. While on our way to lunch, we stopped by Office Depot to pick a laptop; we got a great deal on an acer. Laptop prices have dropped enormously. In fact, most of the electronic items are being sold like vegetables these days (but the junk they produce do not disintegrate as fast as vegis, sadly).

By the time, we got out of the shop, it was 3:15. We headed straight to the theater area and decided to check out the eating places in the new strip mall there. Subway, we skipped; Quiznos, we settled on, but then they were closed Sunday. Next to that was Jimmy Johns sandwich place. I had heard great things about this one, but never got a chance to try it. So in we went. It was a classic American style club & sub sandwiches place; even the interiors were still set the old way. It reminded me immediately of 'Grease'. Having gotten used to the spicy and oiled sanwiches that the modern sub shops now offer, we thought the sandwiches were really dry, and thought this was our first and last time for us over there.

By 3:40, we were out of there and heading to the theater across the road. On our way, we noticed men clad in whites playing cricket (must have been one of the league matches). There weren't too many people in the theater. This one has 30 theaters and is typically very busy, but this being Sunday evening, it wasn't. We noticed only just the Indians purchasing tickets for Rock On.

After getting in, I decided to go for a soft pretzel. The sandwich wasn't good enough for me, or may be all the workout is making me hungrier. If I continue like this, you guys back home will notice my physical growth immediately. It was just my bad luck, but the pretzel tasted equally bland as well. I ate only half of it.

The movie was not so bad - a reminder that a secure & traditional lifestyle might keep you breathing and paying bills, but the real living is when you follow your passions. The movie lacked depth, but I was still able to stir up my emotions esp because of the rocking music. I would recommend Jerry Maguire (my all time favorite) though if you really want to touch on this topic. All the characters were well suited and the performances good. I never thought much of Arjun Rampal before, but I thought he stole the show in this one, and Farhan looks dashing as well both in the rockstar and the businessman avatars. The lead guitar mesmerizes and gives you goosebumps. The concerts are well shot, esp the last one is dazzling and worth experiencing in the theater.

By the end of the day, we were pretty exhausted, but I was hungry again. We decided to go the Chipotle, the mexican fast food place. After coming back home, I chatted with Manisha for a little bit, and then dumped myself straight into the bed. Subconsciously, I thought the movie stirred up my creative side a little bit that eesulted in this entry this morning on Monday.

It's almost 9, now. I better get ready for work. Later.

3 comments:

Drawat said...

All the guys you talk about:-
- they went to Us at same time like yours.

- Are all engg grads.

- Are all into IT.

Alok J said...

Yes, all IT engg. who came here at more of less the same time as I. Most of the young Indians here are unquestionably IT professionals. And then, there are doctors who came in 70s and 80s and of course Gujaratis (patels & shahs) who are the most succesful of all Indians here. I hope to do an entry on them.

Drawat said...

There was this guy relation of mendi..some Arora..smart alec, he also went to US, Ajay was telling he's become more yankee than George bush.