Tuesday, November 18, 2008

‘The Day or Jackal’ or ‘The Jackal’-The Old wine in new bottle…. I would say.

For all ye illiterates of world or word. The name Fredrick Forsyth may or may not ring bell.

The book by author a classical thriller set in Gaullist France, revolves around conspiracy to assassinate French president ‘ Charles de Gaulle’ by a ruthless mercenary assassin known by alias of ‘ Jackal’ the ending is never really in doubt because it is more or less historical fiction, an insurgent group hires a professional assassin to kill the president of France. Standing in the assassin's way is an unimposing French detective; the compelling feature of the novel is the battle of wits between the assassin and the unlikely detective.

The 1973 movie is verbatim based on the novel and sticks to plot very honestly actors are unknown to me but still a taut thriller keeping me on the edge of seat, now ‘ The Jackal ‘ is different matter altogether with starcast of Bruce willis as ‘ Jackal’ and Richard gere as his worthy adversary and with Dolby stereo sound its a treat, plot is loosely based on novel but the essence remains same, it seems 60s jackal is transferred to newly liberated Russia with all salient points of novel and older movie replaced in new setting.

Good time pass...............both of them and I did not face any issue watching both B2B on VCD player.

4 comments:

Alok J said...

Now this one I read back in 1995. This is the one of the few fictions I picked up and was able to finish. The book I really enjoyed a lot. Unfortunately, the movie didn't live up to the expectations for me, even though it was very good.

Drawat said...

That's what i emphasise, please recall my blog entry on Bourne series.

Written word has better appeal to me than visual, few directors have creativity to canvas the thought process of writer.

I read the book way back in eighties.

Alok J said...

Plus there is pressure to sandwich all the details in a 2 hour timeframe. Thats not easy. That's the challenge in fact.

Siladitya Banerjee said...

Post pics on ur blog.
Haiku Poems