Saturday, June 20, 2009

YMCA - the first encounter

My first excursion beyond Astley hall happened when mom was taken to Kalhan hospital for a surgery. Private hospitals were still rare in Doon back then, and also the measly income often made the middle class junta to go to the government run Doon hospital situated in the heart of the city. But for specialized surgery, we decided to take mom to a private nursing home. We opted for Kalhan as it was one of the most popular in those days. Now, of course, the choices are not limited.

On the way to the hospital, sitting on the scooter behind my dad, I curiously looked at the shops in the area, and noticed that the name of the locality was Dilaanwaala baazar. This is not too far from Jakhan where the elite like Mayank and Dinu went for schooling and started right after the hathibarkala circle. Also, on the way, I noticed an old church where bunch of boys clad in white uniform were performing martial art routines. Commanding them was an old friend. At first I couldn't recognize him from far, but when I got closer, I was glad to see Anil, again - the same Anil who fixed up my bully, the giant, and who encouraged me to join his class. When I went up to him to say hello, he asked me to hang around and watch the class. The energy there was phenomenal, and when students yelled ‘Ayeee’ after their every determined move, the sound echoed through the fresh morning air and gave me goose bumps. I was sold without any marketing talk.

After continuous urges, dad got me admitted to the morning batch. They had one in the evening, as well, but it was full because of the summer vacation rush. I was not necessarily a morning person, but I had enough motivation to make it for this one. Having taken the specifications of the uniform from the accountant inside the church, we bough the cloth from Girdhaari lal's clothing shop in Paltan baazar and got the dress custom made by a tailor in the Kamal market who was an expert in sewing Taekwondo dress. This was immediately after my high school board exams were over and so there was plenty of time at hand - 3 months to be exact.

I stood in front of the mirror in the bedroom with white top and trousers, and carefully tied the top up by looping the white belt around my waist and tying it up in the front into a neat knot. I was determined to at least get to the next level of belt, which was yellow in color, by the end of the vacation. I felt a new chapter in my life was about to begin.

Next -> YMCA Taekwondo Routine

5 comments:

Drawat said...

i remeber this period, the place was Dilaram Bazzar.

You were too secretive to share your joining clases with us, i remeber word 'Harabazi'.

Alok J said...

Yes, I didn't want to scare you off. You will hear more about harabazi in the next post.

Drawat said...

Okay, but i will certainly have a spoof ready on few other adventures.

mayank sharma said...

good guys i feel envious of you now that you have the time to type away on net while i am not getting any ....days will be more busier so you might see less of comments from me.

Alok J said...

Come on mayank. It only takes a couple of minutes to leave comments. Do tell us abt your new abode.