Friday, September 16, 2011

Recommended author : Amitav Ghosh





Just yesterday finished ‘River of smoke’ second novel in triology as put out by Amitav Ghosh first one was ‘Sea of poppies’.I started appreciating Ghosh when by chance at Bag dogra airport I happened to lay hand on ‘The Glass palace’ and was hooked to the novel of epic proportions, another flight another day and caught hold of ‘The Hungary tide’ and bond was sealed.


I was just wondering why and how this fixation for Ghosh’s novels is coming about and as I read further I can deciper…. the well researched works are generally spanning generations includes geographies I can identify with be it opium factory of Hazipur or boatmen of sunderbans and geograhies which hold mysteries for me like Burma(Myanmar) or for that matter Mauritius, it takes me back second world war also further down to opium wars. It gives a peep how history might have been shaped by incidences as innocent as child’s laugh and languages shaped by tower of babel the new lands of hope places like Mauritius or Canton became.seamless flow, mastery of language makes Ghosh celebrated award winning author, novels are never taxing to anypart of body including the brain novels are like Golden era of epic movies and Ghosh is masterful like directors of yore..gurudutt and Mehboob revisited.


I look forward to concluding part of IBIS triology now and few others so far not added…………. you guys know now what to gift me on my birthday!!!

10 comments:

Alok J said...

Cool. I am tempted to read one too. Being simplistic on the language, I have enjoyed the short stories of Jhumpa Lahiri, especially because she has focussed on immigrant stories that I can immediately relate too. Hope you got to see The Namesake.

Drawat said...

read namesake actually

mayank sharma said...

He has Doon connection through Doon School and i bought one suggested reading (not opened yet) on mr.rawat's express sms advise at new delhi T 3.

Drawat said...

So that makes it worthwhile entry for blog.
He would be considered elder of Joshita..as welhams and doon go hand in hand.

mayank sharma said...

Check this Chandbagh School in Pakistan and Vikram Seth is an alumni from Doon School too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chand_Bagh_School


and for alumni
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doon_School_alumni

mayank sharma said...

...and location of the school at Muridke gives Doon an LET (Lashkar....) link.As Mr K of Mumbai attacks fame came from there.

Drawat said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welham_Girls_School#Notable_alumni

Snippets :
Do u know Kareena was packed off to welhams after in a top mumbai school as she did some hanky panky there with a boy.

mayank sharma said...

She was class mate of Gusain's Sister.
If u remember Gusain.

mayank sharma said...

Add my neighbour to the list.She is married to one ex essar and presently my organisation guy.

Drawat said...

I remember Gossain well.

who is ur neighbour girl??