Friday, December 11, 2009

Crooning Monsieur Rawat


March evening of early ninties, to be precise 18 years back, a singer was born!! Well……not exactly.
My mom had gone through the pangs much-2 before infact almost two decades previous to this but augured into University It was the ‘freshers night’ coming with it exhilarating feeling of freedom, comaradarie, one ness and being grown up which can only be felt once, in fact few freshers were so overjoyed that by the time function started had passed out lock/stock after boozing in the midst of hostel, by the ditches, near shrubs, on the Auditorium door.
Although I have been a bacchus follower but had to keep myself in rein as I had been roped in to show case my talents and I still remember..the nervous feeling and welcoming tentative applause from the audiences, arena was pitch dark with spot light on me, I started ..a la Kishore Kumar….”Hum to mohhabat karega……” and than rhythm was set , fortnight of practice was paying off..raw talent was made presentable,audience were tapping and clapping with every stanza and than the Kishore style finale..i was treated to a thunderous standing ovation.
Later that night through boozards haze I remember people coming all through the party/celebrations coming and congratulating me..although I never nurtured this facet further but got many oppo..and the song which made me remains my forte all along.

2 comments:

Alok J said...

Those were the days! Remember our fascination with 'Chalti ka naam gaadi' and 'paanch rupaiya'.

Drawat said...

yes kishore movies like 'Half ticket' which we used to see on VCR.